Monday 15 October 2007

First Step Taken

Well, apologies for the lack of updates this week but I've been busy cramming for my PCV Theory and Hazard Perception Tests. The Stagecoach Training Unit has interactive DVDs to enable the trainee to get a feel of what is expected during a test. The theory test for large vehicles has recently been modified, the number of questions has been increased from a mere 35 to 60. The pass mark is 51. For the uninitiated the hazard perception test is a series of 14 video clips. The road ahead is seen from the viewpoint of a driver and the testee must click the mouse when they first see what is called a "developing hazard". One of the clips has 2 seperate hazards but that particular clip can be anywhere in the sequence so one has to be on ones toes throughout. This means that there are 15 hazards in total at a maximum of 5 points each. The maximum therefore is 75 with the pass mark set at 50. I had to pop into Carlisle this morning to take my test. Thankfully the gods were smiling and I achieved a theory mark of 60 and a hazard perception mark of 66. Now I can concentrate on the driving!

4 comments:

David said...

Good scores, we didn't have the Hazard test 10 years ago, it would be interesting to take it and see how I would score. Hopefully well enough to pass, but I am not completely sure. Good luke with the driving.

Budgie said...

Thanks David. As a new driver I'd say that doing those tests is substantially easier than driving the coach!!

Ed said...

Hi Rich,
Glad to see your ok and got something to get your teeth stuck into. Hazard perception tests ! When I took my bike test on Primrose the only hazard was an examiner leaping out at you from behind a tree as you bimbled around Courtney Park apart from that everything else was exactly what you would expect to find on a roadway, cars buses dogs ect

Budgie said...

Hi Ed. Hope all is well with you and yours. Whatever happened to Primrose?